Verities of the Esselstyn Diet & the Oddball Things About Carnivorous Cravings

 I was on the Esselstyn Diet, Dr Esselstyn is a cardiologist and the diet is for cutting down on the plaque that tends to cling to the sides of my arteries.   I had a three way bypass and the one on the right side failed which left me feeling like someone was sitting on my chest at about 2:00 in the AM. 

I was motivated to be on that diet and it worked great, except for that fact that I was missing some nutrients  that appear to be in meat.

It's a vegan diet, and the source of omega-3 fatty acids is from ground up flax seed which was great for his patients, but I don't have the enzyme to do the conversion from short chain to long chain omegas. 

I ended up chugging cod liver oil.  The stuff I use now does not have the lemon flavor so it tastes like cod liver.  

After a couple of years my doctor told me that my balance was off, and I seemed fragile.   I was.

I fell a lot.

What pushed me into eating meat was that I knew I was missing something, my mind was going and I became allergic to anything that would turn into glucose.

Potatoes, rice, noodles of all kinds and glucose tabs.  

I would turn bright red, develop hives and just itch all over. 

Not easy to fall asleep like that.  But I wasn't sleeping well anyway, as I would get low blood sugar and wake up at 1:00 in the AM, and go down to the kitchen and eat something.

Much to my cardiologist's chagrin, eating meat does terrible things to my cholesterol numbers.

The next thing that happened was that I developed a patch of something that my endoscopist called "inflammation" just below my esophagus.  

It's allergic to sugars, and wakes me up in the middle of the night if I have too many things composed of a class of things that are sweet or fruity. 

If I eat meat I'm fine.  Eggs work too, just that kind of stuff.  I can also eat vegetables if they aren't too starchy.

As long as I stick to that I'm OK, otherwise, I'll be up typing or doing something when I should be fast asleep in bed.

 

 




 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vitamin C and MSM in Copious Quantity

Just a bit of Medical History

The Peculiarities of Uric Acid