More Soups Du Jour

I became bored with my soup and so I made changes:

  • Added green onions to my batch of frozen onions.  When I put onions in my soup it includes green onions.
  • Simplify to just a few things: usually a starch such as potatoes, some onions (yellow and green), and some peas and mushrooms.   If the starch is pasta, I might add some strained tomato or tomato paste.
  • Use a small pan if I'm just cooking for me.  
  • Different mix of grains:  I usually have a base of pearled barley, but I like to add millet and sometimes: short grain brown rice, long grain brown rice, farro (Emmer Wheat) or Durham wheat.
Directions for cooking grain:
  • I use a medium sized cooking pot.
  • Add about (and change the amount for taste) three fourths of a cup of barley, a quarter cup of millet and then one of the remaining grains: rice, farro, or Durham wheat.
  • Add water, but not the amount that you would add if you were cooking for direct consumption;  maybe only fill the pan half way or a little more.
  • Stir the pot, and turn up the heat.  Bring to boil and then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.   
  • Cover the pan and turn off the heat.
  • Come back every twenty minutes and stir. 
  • Sometimes I come back and bring it to a boil again and turn it off, but no more than twice.
  • If the fire is off, walk away and come back in an hour.  
  • It should be done: put it in a container that you can refrigerate and put it in the refrigerator.
I add a couple of table spoons full of grain to my soups and it generally thickens it a bit and adds fiber.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vitamin C and MSM in Copious Quantity

Just a bit of Medical History

The Peculiarities of Uric Acid